Our client is a major Northern California Refinery serving the fuel transportation and aviation fuel needs of the western United States. Operates an integrated network of strategic assets that creates and sells refined petroleum products, from feedstock acquisition to wholesale, commercial and retail sales outlets.
The Buyer position provides procurement support for the Refinery including;
Order placement, expediting and administration of routine (e.g. contract ‘call offs’) purchases. This may include catalyst, chemicals, salt, pipes valves/ fittings etc., and complex purchases and/or service orders (e.g. “single event” service orders, low-medium complexity engineered items and general labor orders).
Prepares RFP/RFQ documents, performs commercial evaluations of supplier quotes, assists stakeholders with qualification (SQ), facilitates bid clarification meetings, provides recommendation for award and order generation.
Negotiates with suppliers on behalf of the refinery regarding various commercial and operational matters related to orders including; surplus material returns, disposition and material and damage claims. Coordinates material shipments with suppliers and transportation companies as necessary and stays abreast of applicable HAZMAT and export compliance regulations.
Efficient management of the Procurement through Payables process including advocacy for use of eProcurement tools and purchasing/contracting best practices. Ensures proper terms and conditions are included on all purchase/service orders. Ensures purchasing activities are consistent with purchasing policies and philosophies (i.e. material standardization and use of contracts). Ensures compliance with Policy 530.
• High School Diploma or GED
• 10+ years of Procurement experience, preferably within Manufacturing, O/G, or Operations industry.
• Experience utilizing Ariba and SAP strongly preferred
• Proficient experience utilizing MS Office, SharePoint, Visio
• Lean Sigma Certification or familiarity with the methodology strongly desired
• Required to be on-call for 1 week, on rotation – required to carry company phone, and be available for that time.
• Local candidates only!
1. Demonstrated experience and expertise with all aspects of Purchasing; Prepares RFP/RFQ documents, performs commercial evaluations of supplier quotes, assists stakeholders with qualification (SQ), facilitates bid clarification meetings, provides recommendation for award and order generation and follow-up (expedition, logistics coordination, statusing).
2. Experience with commercial negotiations and operational matters related to ordering including; surplus, material returns and damage claims. Experience in coordinating material shipments with suppliers and transportation companies as necessary and stays abreast of applicable HAZMAT and export compliance regulations.
3. Problem Solving / Ability to work independently: Able to recognize problems and act independently to resolve them. Takes appropriate action to develop and execute solutions within delegation of authority limits. Ability to be flexible taking on or assisting colleagues with assignments outside your immediate scope.
4. Communication Skills: Demonstrated ability to communicate with stakeholders (refinery personnel) and suppliers. This includes ability to understand customer business needs while negotiating commercial terms with suppliers.
While not required, the following education and job experience are highly desired:
• BA/BS Degree in Business/Economics or related field
• Supply Chain Management Degree/Cert.
• Experience and knowledge of Chevron Manufacturing business and facilities